Chanel S.A. is a French privately held company owned by Alain Wertheimer and Gerard Wertheimer, grandsons of Pierre Wertheimer, who was an early business partner of the couturière Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel. Chanel S.A. is a high fashion brand that specializes in haute couture and ready-to-wear clothes, luxury goods and fashion accessoriesIn her youth, Gabrielle Chanel gained the nickname Coco from her time as a chanteuse. As a fashion designer, Coco Chanel catered to women’s taste for elegance in dress, with blouses and suits, trousers and dresses, and jewelry of simple design, that replaced the opulent, over-designed, and constrictive clothes and accessories of 19th-century fashion. The Chanel product brands have been personified by fashion models and actresses, including Inès de la Fressange, Catherine Deneuve, Carole Bouquet, Vanessa Paradis, Nicole Kidman, Anna Mouglalis, Lucía Hiriart, Hope Portocarrero, Audrey Tautou, Keira Knightley and Marilyn Monroe, who epitomize the independent, self-confident Chanel Girl.
Gerard Wertheimer and Alain Wertheimer
Karl Lagerfeld (born Karl Otto Lagerfeldt; 10 September 1935) is a German fashion designer, artist and photographer based in Paris. He has collaborated on a variety of fashion and art related projects, notably as head designer and creative director for the fashion house Chanel. Lagerfeld has his own label fashion house, as well as the Italian house Fendi. He is well recognized around the world for his trademark white hair and black glasses.
Many people think Chanel logo is just a cross or letter "x", though it is actually two "C's" crossed together. Two "C's" crossed together open up the name of : Coco Chanel. A great woman which found this brand. Always classic and beautiful style of it, makes it wearable for everybody.
- Chanel’s use of stars was inspired by pavement in Aubazine, a monastery in France where Mademoiselle Chanel grew up as an orphan.
- The interlocking C’s came from stained glass windows in an Aubazine chapel which featured interlaced curves.
- A dress from Karl Lagerfeld’s Chanel haute couture fall 2006 collection took 1,500 hours of embroidery to make.
- The original press kit from Coco Chanel’s 1932 launch of the Bijoux des Diamantes collection, which was inspired by the Paris sky and became the symbol of Chanel fine jewelry.
- Every bottle of Chanel no.5 is sealed by hand with baudruchage (a fine membrane), pearl cotton thread and hot wax stamped with the interlocking C’s.
- The lion became one of Chanel’s iconic symbols because Coco was a leo. A 12-meter high gold lion was the decor for the fall 2010 couture show.
- Camellias were Coco’s favorite flower, hence their ominipresence in Chanel creations.